Friday, April 10, 2015

Me and the San Jose Bike Clinic... A nice story

Hi there...

First of all, if you follow this blog, and there are a few (3, I think) that do, you'll know that it's where I vent when pissed, angry, disgruntled, or just bored.  

For this posting, none of those apply.  This is a story about a very enjoyable encounter I've had in the past few months, one that I hope continues on into the future.

For the sake of clarity, and/or brevity, if this is being C&P'd to another venue, feel free to leave these first few lines out, otherwise....

Me and The Bike Clinic.

I still do on occasion, but not as much anymore, ply my trade as a street musician near the Camera12 theatres in San Jose.

In the winter of  2014, I happened to notice a group of bicycles, a few bike stands, and a miniature troop of bike mechanics in an area of the Camera12 theatre.

I once attempted to ask someone what they were doing in there, but the person didn't hear me, and pedaled away.

I'd say it was about two weeks later that I happened to catch the ear of one of the SJBC's people.  I learned that what the bike clinic was about, and that yes, they were accepting volunteers.

Now, I don't really hit on cycling much on this blog, but it is a rather well known fact among my friends, that I'm a bit of a cycling fan.  Actually it would be more accurately described as a rabbid cycling fan, closely akin to that of a English soccer hooligan.  I salivate at the notion of Paris Roubaix, I await incredibly impatiently for July and  Le Tour de France.  

I am also fairly well versed on working on bicycles.  My dream job would be to be shown to a bench with a truing stand, with boxes and boxes of spokes, hubs, and rims, and to be told to start building wheels...   Don't tell any possibly employer, but a job like that I'd do for next to nothing.   I LOVE WHEEL BUILDING.

So, after a discussion with the guy I refer to as  "Out Top Bannana",  I volunteered to work the next weekend.

Ah, the first day, I wrenched on a couple of bicycles.  The first time in a couple of years.  Don't tell Danny "The Top Bannana" but I would have paid to be allowed to be there.

The next day, I think is where I somewhat convinced a few that I might be in the right place.  We had a woman come in with a road bike, that wanted to learn how to do regular maintenance.   The whole idea behind the bike clinic is for people to come in and either just use the tools that are available, or to come in and we'll teach them how to use those tools.   Well, a moment after the one woman was in the shop, I had her bike up on a stand, and basically went through brake repair and adjustment, derailer adjustment,  chain cleaning and lubing, and general bicycle checkout.   Just what we wanted to do,  teach people how to do it themselves.

So, I became a bit of a  SJBC staple, manning the shop on the weekends.  Performing the odd jobs, such as hanging lights and such.  All in all, had a very nice time.

As George Harrison wonderfully pointed out,  'all things must pass',  and proving to this, the SJBC is not open these days.  We hope to re-open  the doors soon, and still have 'skill share' days on occasion.  Me,  I'm not so involved these days.  I read about what's being done to raise funds to re-open, and when it's relevant I put my two cents in.   Me, I'd rather be just the wrench, with lots of bicycle stories, and a passion for the sport.

One thing I can say about downtown San Jose,  it really sucks in a major way, but in the middle of that giant suck, there are a few really nice islands of paradise.  One of those islands was and is the San Jose Bicycle Clinic.    If you're out and about, and we're having a skill share, stop by.  If you hear we have the doors open again, stop on in.  Always have room for another bike, and always have time for another turn of the wrench.

Until then, keep on riding....
keep the rubber side down....
and never ever walk up to a full grown bison and smack him on the nose with a stick.

Walt


No comments:

Post a Comment